Re: Red Notebook will not build.

From: L p R n d n
Subject: Re: Red Notebook will not build.
Date: Tue, 07 May 2019 12:19:45 +0200

Hello,

Jesse Gibbons <address@hidden> writes:

> I am trying to make a Red Notebook package (home page
> <rednotebook.app>). I defined a package that should work, but I get an
> error when I try to build it. Attached are my package definition
> (rednotebook.scm), and the build log
> (g05wsv8nqq8m71n3wg65043lixsfaa-rednotebook-2.11.1.drv.bz2). The build
> log was produced after I ran `guix pull` and `guix upgrade` on May 6
> 2019 (guix (GNU Guix) d6a68e90483b35bdc2ea78afe2c81873be67ec95). During
> the builld process the '_()' method appears to be undefined. However,
> this is not a problem on other systems.
>
> When I try getting source with `guix build --source rednotebook` and
> enter an environment with `guix environment rednotebook` I cannot run
> the program from the source directory (`bash ./run` or `python3
> rednotebook/journal.py` both have the same results). Attached is output
> from my attempt (rednotebook.log). It appears Python cannot find the
> libgtksourceview shared library, though I can confirm it is located
> in the environment's LIBRARY_PATH.
>
> I need a hint on where the problem is:
> - If the problem is something wrong with guix it needs to be identified
>   and sent to the bug mailing list.
> - If it is in my package definition, what should be changed in the
>   definition?
> - If it is in the package itself (due to programmers neglecting best
>   practices of developing in python), how can I apply a custom patch
>   until we can get it fixed in the github repository? The info doc
>   appears to be missing the details.
>
> I suspect it is a combination of the three.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> -Jesse
>

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "rednotebook/journal.py", line 44, in <module>
>     gi.require_version('GtkSource', '3.0')
>   File
> "/gnu/store/zgq6zx6riin708xcl31xwz1ca786wr85-profile/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gi/__init__.py",
>  line 134, in require_version
>     (namespace, version))
> ValueError: Namespace GtkSource not available for version 3.0
>

> #!
> see https://github.com/jendrikseipp/rednotebook
> !#
> (define-module (custom packages rednotebook)
>   #:use-module (guix packages)
>   #:use-module (guix download)
>   #:use-module (guix build-system python)
>   #:use-module (guix licenses))
> (define-public rednotebook
>   (package
>    (name "rednotebook")
>    (version "2.11.1")
>    (source
>     (origin
>      (method url-fetch)
>      (uri (string-append
>            "https://github.com/jendrikseipp/rednotebook/archive/v";
>            version
>            ".tar.gz"))
>      (sha256
>       (base32
>        "15n1ziypfj3lzpvhha7r637zrb259l9yrcsvkic9cg5mndiaivs3"))))
>    (build-system python-build-system)
> [...]

I didn't take the time to read the full log so sorry if I'm beside the
point but according to the traceback you provided, it seems to me it's
searching for gtksourceview-3.0 which, since recently, is provided by
gtksoureview-3 and not gtksourceview. What happens if you change
gtksourceview to gtksourceview-3 in the propagated-inputs?

Have a nice day,

Lprndn