Re: Guix installing different package versions on different machines

From: Zelphir Kaltstahl
Subject: Re: Guix installing different package versions on different machines
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2019 22:43:05 +0200

The moment at which I did the `guix pull` and `guix package- u` cannot
be the issue for outdated packages, as I have done both multiple times
weeks after noticing the behavior described. It is not, that the package
was not available in the morning but was available in the afternoon or
something like that. For weeks I've tried multiple times and the version
difference is still there.

On 9/28/19 4:41 PM, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice wrote:
> Zelphir,
>
> Zelphir Kaltstahl 写道:
>> I installed Guix on my own machine (Xubuntu 18.04.3) and at work on my
>> machine (Ubuntu 18.04.3). Although I do `guix pull` and then `guix
>> package -u`, both machines get different versions of packages installed
>> this way.
>
>> Guile (home: 2.2.4, work: 2.2.6).
>
> This is not normal.  GNU Guile 2.2.6 was added to Guix almost 3 months
> ago.
>
> What does ‘guix describe’ return on both machines?  Something recent?
> You can look up the commit IDs in the git history.
>
> What does ‘which guix’ say?  It should print the same thing on both
> machines (/home/you!/.config/guix/current/bin/guix). Certainly not
> /usr/local/bin/guix or anything like that.

This seems to be more in the right direction:

$ guix describe
guix describe: error: failed to determine origin

$ which guix
/usr/local/bin/guix

So there seems to be an issue here. The question then is, how it got to
/usr/local/bin/guix. `sudo aptitude search guix` does not reveal any
results, so I cannot have installed it in such a way. I am quite sure
that I simply followed the instructions on the website to do a binary
installation on both system, at work and at home.

I currently do not have access to the machine at work for the next few
days, so I cannot check what the results for those commands are on that
machine.

If /usr/local/bin/guix is wrong, what could cause it and do I need to
reinstall Guix?

>> I don't
>> understand this behavior, as I thought that both installations of Guix
>> should use the same repositories, because I installed them the same way
>> and I even use the same OS at the core. Furthermore I thought, that Guix
>> installs packages as they have been provided by contributors and does
>> not perform checks, whether some package is suitable on a system.
>>
>> Where is my understanding wrong?
>
> Trick question :-)  Your understanding is, generally, correct.
>
>> What can lead to this behavior?
>
> Guix doesn't strictly ‘use repositories’: package definitions are part
> of and updated in sync with the package manager, which is why it
> matters *which* guix runs when you invoke it and why I'm interested in
> the output of ‘which guix’ above.  ‘guix pull’ *only* updates
> /home/you!/.config/guix/current/bin/guix.
>
> Packages can be marked as unsupported on certain architectures (e.g.
> i686 vs. x86_64 or aarch64) and/or kernels (the Hurd or Linux), but
> guile@2.2.6 supports all of them.
>
> AFAIK Guix only runs on one OS (GNU), so that can't affect things either.
>
> Jesse Gibbons 写道:
>> To make sure all package versions match, write cron jobs to do this
>> at the
>> same time on both machines.
>
> Yes.  If said matching is really important to you, having all machines
> ‘git pull --commit=…’ to the same commit is even better but requires
> some communication between them.

It is not a production system, I just want to be on the up-to-date
version of packages, when they are released. So not super important, but
annoying to know, that for some reason I am not getting the new version
at home.

Thank for your help so far,

Zelphir