Authentication prompt when changing brightness

From: David Wilson
Subject: Authentication prompt when changing brightness
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2019 06:25:24 -0700

Hi all,

This is my first attempt at setting up Guix on my machine, so please forgive me
if I've missed anything obvious here. I've noticed that any time a process
tries to set the backlight brightness of my laptop, a root authentication
prompt appears:

https://imgur.com/a/vlB7UtN

I've seen this both when using xfce4-power-manager and inexplicably on the GDM
login screen when I didn't even press a brightness key. It definitely seems
like some policy configuration isn't set up correctly but I'm not exactly sure
how to correct it.

I've configured my machine to use only the XFCE desktop environment but in
practice I'm actually using a custom .xsession to launch Emacs with EXWM as my
window manager. I believe I also saw it when running in XFCE but I can't repro
it now due to a separate issue with xfwm crashing when XFCE starts up.

Here's my current system configuration if it helps:

https://github.com/daviwil/dotfiles/blob/23743190b8f744f89a8a43da6180576638246f72/guix/systems/zerocool.scm

I'm sure this must be a simple configuration issue so any help would be very
much appreciated!

Thanks!

David