Re: Authentication prompt when changing brightness

From: David Wilson
Subject: Re: Authentication prompt when changing brightness
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2019 16:55:58 -0700

> I have a similar problem. I see an authentication box when I try to adjust
> screen brightness on the gdm screen, but not when logged into gnome. Does
> this happen when you are logged in?

Yeah, it happens when I'm logged in to a custom .xsession where I'm using Emacs
as my window manager.  I installed GNOME to see whether the problem exists
there and it turns out that everything works fine when logged in to a GNOME
session.

Should I be able to use "brightnessctl" without sudo if I'm in the "video"
group?  Looks like I'm not able to:

---
λ brightnessctl set 200
Can't modify brightness: Permission denied

You should run this program with root privileges.
Alternatively, get write permissions for device files.
---

Thanks!

David