Re: Guix on Novena

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Guix on Novena
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2020 20:05:48 +0200

On Wed, Sep 02, 2020 at 10:30:22AM -0700, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> I haven't finished upgrading to a more recent guix, but attached is a
> slightly trimmed down config that I used as recently as March.

Great, thanks!

So far, I have been upgrading the machine to Debian buster. There are
scripts to do so here, prepared by a person formerly active on the Guix
list as well:
   https://github.com/novena-next/docs
But essentially "apt-get dist-upgrade" first to stretch and then to buster
work. So the next step will be to backup the sd card using dd...

As for installing the Guix system on arm machines, I am quite lost.
The installer does not work, or does it? Apart from that, I only know
the dirty way of installing the Guix package manager and running a
"guix system init", thus interleaving the new system with Debian
remainders. Are there better ways?

In this special case of a build machine, we did not want to run the build
on the (moreover small) sd card, so we bind mounted (why that? a normal
mount would have been enough, I think) /tmp and /gnu/store from an external
hard drive. That should be handable in the standard way by a file-systems
entry, I suppose. Or maybe simply mount the complete / from the external
hard drive? That should even be compatible with the dirty "guix system init"
approach, I think.

Your thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,

Andreas