Avoiding rebuilds (e.g. of mariadb, the entire Rust chain, etc.)?

From: Matthew Brooks
Subject: Avoiding rebuilds (e.g. of mariadb, the entire Rust chain, etc.)?
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 23:41:30 -0600

Is there any way to avoid rebuilding stuff like mariadb, the entire Rust chain,
etc. unless one of those packages *actually* changes? It seems like every few
days every single package needs to rebuild for some reason, including many
packages that spend unbelievably long times running tests that will never
actually be of use to me, so I'm usually only able to update every couple of
weeks since so much constantly needs to be rebuilt and everything takes so long.

It seems to have gotten worse over time as well, as more and more base packages
pull in extremely computation-hungry dependency chains. At this very moment,
for example, I'm waiting for Rust & co. to compile simply to delete old system
generations from the bootloader.

I've got substitutes turned off (primarily because I like the idea of every
package being "home built" as it were), but I can't imagine that even the
official substitiute servers would be able to keep up with the constant
rebuilds my system seems to want unless I've got something horribly
misconfigured somewhere.

The definition for the guix service in my config is:

(modify-services
 %base-services
 (guix-service-type
  config =>
  (guix-configuration
   (inherit config)
   (use-substitutes? #f)
   (authorized-keys (list
         (local-file "./laptop-key.pub")
         (local-file "./tablet-key.pub")
         ))
   (substitute-urls '())
   (extra-options '("--gc-keep-derivations=yes" "--gc-keep-outputs=yes"
"--no-substitutes"))
   ))
 )

I've virtually zero experience with Scheme or Guile, so maybe there's something
obvious I'm missing, or some obvious way to change the behavior, but I've never
been able to find anything about it.