Re: Grub menu not displayed

From: David Lecompte
Subject: Re: Grub menu not displayed
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 11:38:02 +0000

Le lundi 24 janvier 2022 à 08:46 +0100, Tanguy LE CARROUR a écrit :
> Everything works as expected on my Thinkpad T200. The problem is with
> my
> Viking D8… that uses the nVIDIA driver! Do you think it could be
> related?

I am using a Vikings D8 with Trisquel 9 + Guix and Debian 11 + Guix, I
can see Grub menu but only in text
mode. https://libreboot.org/docs/hardware/kcma-d8.html says only text-
mode is known to work (my D8 has coreboot but I suppose the problem is
the same). I have a GeForce GT-710 but I suspect that it isn't used at
the time Grub is loaded. Vikings told me a non-free blob would be
needed to have graphical GRUB display.

In Trisquel, I had set GRUB_TERMINAL=console in /etc/default/grub.

In Debian, I did not set anything manually, I don't know how text mode
is selected.

By the way, with nouveau I have regular system freezes with Trisquel 9
(logs show issues with stack in nouveau, can happen more than once a
day), while with Debian 11 and Mate, I only rarely (once a month or
less) have the Mate session disconnected (apparently, X server was
restarted).

Perhaps this wasn't the main question, but in case it could help.

David.