Re: guix pull

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: guix pull
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 21:09:38 +0100

Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> writes:

> Should I do a guix pull basically in my user account?
>
> Or should I do a guix pull basically in the root account?
>
> As far as I understood if I do a gux pull in my user account, it has
> no influence to the root account?

This is correct.  As far as Guix is concerned “root” is just another
user account.

> But If I do a guix pull only in my user account, it would mean, as far
> as I understand it, the root account would not get security updates?

Correct.

Note that “guix pull” alone doesn’t upgrade any installed packages.  It
only gives you a new version of Guix which has access to updated packages.

> What should be the procedure?

You can have all users on the machine share the same guix and/or the
same profile and upgrade just that.

On a single-user system it also makes sense to just not install any
software for the root user.

--
Ricardo