Re: compile

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: compile
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 22:21:22 +0200

Hi Mario,

On Mon, 02 May 2022 at 19:04, marioBB <marJobb@protonmail.com> wrote:

> I used manifest file with:
>
> (specifications->manifest
>   '("ghc@8.10.7"
>     "ghc-zstd"))
>
> $ guix shell

[...]

> Loaded package environment from
> /home/ms/.ghc/x86_64-linux-8.10.7/environments/default
> <command line>: cannot satisfy -package zstd
>     (use -v for more information)

Well, I do not know what is wrong with your Guix config but something is
wrong.  I guess you installed Haskell packages via another method
(stack?) and they are in ~/.ghc; and I guess ztsd is not part of the
ones you installed via this very method. ;-)

If you run ’guix shell --pure’ or ’cp Source.hs /tmp/; cp guix.scm
/tmp/; cd /tmp; guix shell -C -- ghc Source’, then you will see.

For instance, consider the snippet:

$ cat Source.hs
import Codec.Compression.Zstd

main = pure ()

$ guix shell ghc ghc-zstd -C -- ghc Source
[1 of 1] Compiling Main             ( Source.hs, Source.o )

<no location info>: error:
    Warning: Couldn't figure out C compiler information!
             Make sure you're using GNU gcc, or clang
ghc: could not execute: gcc

Well, contrary to ’haskell-platform’ which provides a ready-to-use
computational environment, it is not the case with Guix.  Something to
improve. :-)

As you see, it also requires ’gcc-toolchain’.  However, I get,

$ guix shell ghc ghc-zstd -C gcc-toolchain -- ghc Source
[1 of 1] Compiling Main             ( Source.hs, Source.o )
Linking Source ...
ld: cannot find -lHSzstd-0.1.3.0-4d3LhFnhVBND893zIj2UnM
`gcc' failed in phase `Linker'. (Exit code: 1)

which is unexpected.  I do not know what could be wrong.

Sorry, it does not help. :-(

Cheers,
simon