Re: stumpwm on guix - "sb-cltl2" issues

From: Katherine Cox-Buday
Subject: Re: stumpwm on guix - "sb-cltl2" issues
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 09:44:46 -0500

Wil deBeest <bovid-19@4tii.de> writes:

>> Benjamin Slade <beoram@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I'm trying to run my long-standing stumpwm init.lisp on a recent Guix
>>> install, using the packaged stumpwm, however when it launches, it
>>> fails to process the init.lisp and gives me an "Don't know how to
>>> REQUIRE sb-cltl2." error.
>>> I've set the SBCL_HOME variable both in .xprofile and in the init.lisp
>>> itself [via `(sb-posix:putenv
>>> "SBCL_HOME=/run/current-system/profile/lib/sbcl/")' ], but this
>>> doesn't seem to help.
>>> Is there a good way around this? (On my other system I just compile
>>> stumpwm from source and install; I don't know if that makes a
>>> difference here.)
>>> —Ben
>>
>> I used to have the same problem, but I don't remember what fixed it.
>>
>> SBCL_HOME isn't set at all, I only have `exec
>> /home/bovid-19/.guix-profile/bin/stumpwm' in my
>> `~/.xinitrc', and my stumpwm init file starts like this:
>>
>> (in-package :stumpwm)
>> (require 'sb-cltl2)
>>

>> I'm not sure what else I can look for.
>
> I have probably found the solution: in addition to stumpwm, I also have
> `cl-trivial-cltl2' and `cl-asdf' (and sbcl) in my system configuration.
> If you can confirm that those two packages are what was missing, we
> should add them to the stumpwm package as inputs.

I think I have this problem? But like Benjamin, it has also been a very long
time since I addressed it. In my profiles, I include:

                 "stumpwm"
                 "sbcl-stumpwm-kbd-layouts"
                 ;; net module has this unacknowledged dependency
                 "sbcl-cl-ppcre"
                 "sbcl-stumpwm-net"
                 "sbcl-stumpwm-pass"
                 "sbcl-stumpwm-stumptray"
                 "sbcl-stumpwm-swm-gaps"
                 "sbcl-stumpwm-ttf-fonts"

and I don't seem to have any problem. I start it from lightdm, and I don't
think that's doing anything special.

Probably in my case some of the modules are including the missing dependencies.

I hope that helps somehow.

--
Katherine