Re: Packaging Idris2

From: Csepp
Subject: Re: Packaging Idris2
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 10:42:21 +0200

"(" <paren@disroot.org> writes:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> On Sat Aug 20, 2022 at 11:01 PM BST, Andreas Reuleaux wrote:
>>   You bootstrap it from scheme (chez or racket), as comes within the Idris2
>> tarball
>>   (and built with Idris 2 itself: Idris2 -> Chez Scheme / Racket).
>
> Since this Scheme is pregenerated, it cannot really count as source code. So
> we need to find a version of Idris2 that can still be built with Idris1, then
> try to build a later version with that Idris2, and keep going until we get to
> the latest version, like our rustc bootstrap process.
>
>     -- (

Yup.

And there are already patches and channels floating around that do that.
Anyways, if you want to work on Idris 2, I highly recommend looking at
them.  Otherwise you are doing work that has already been done.  Which
is fine if you are only doing this as an exercise, but if you are
serious about packaging Idris 2, you should know about the issues that
have come up with it.

ps.: pls no benchmarks without hardware info. :)
I know what I'm talking about when I say it takes too many resources on
my machine and I'm aware that more powerful computers exist and that Idris
2 compiles itself faster than Idris 1 does.