Re: Package inputs specific to an output

From: Csepp
Subject: Re: Package inputs specific to an output
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 21:15:22 +0200

Olivier Dion via <help-guix@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to make a package that has inputs that will only be
> installed when a given output is selected?
>
> For example, I have a library that has a set of inputs for linking
> against them.  The project also come with optional executable tools that
> use the library but also other inputs.  I don't want these extra inputs
> to be installed along the library if the user does not want the tools.

Normal inputs are only installed iff the package references them.
Propagated inputs are the ones that are "always installed" (they also
show up in the profile), I'm not aware of any way to make them only be
referenced from certain outputs, but in general packages should try to
avoid using them and use regular inputs whenever possible.