Re: This is how you import a mailing list archives (e.g. guix-patches) i

From: zimoun
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2022 09:45:41 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, 16 Nov 2022 at 23:04, Mekeor Melire <mekeor@posteo.de> wrote:

> you might want to import a mailing-list-archive into mu4e. E.g. because
> debbugs.el is slow, you might want to import the archives of the
> guix-patches mailing list. This is how to do so.

Personally, I use “git clone” from a public-inbox instance [1].

    git clone --mirror https://yhetil.org/guix-patches/1 \
              guix-patches/git/1.git

where ’1’ can be also replace by ’0’ for the very old ones.

Then the conversion from Git commit to maildir is done by a small script
[2], where all the job reads:

    # Extract the message from each commit in the range and store it
    # in the Maildir for notmuch to consume.
    $git rev-list $range | while read sha; do
        # XXXX: fatal: path 'm' does not exist in <commit>
        # and it can also raise issues with notmuch, as:
        # Note: Ignoring non-mail file: $maildir/new/$sha
        $git show $sha:m > $maildir/new/$sha
    done

(Maybe better could be done and more robust are around.)

Even, the same can be used for reading Guix mailing lists.  New messages
are gotten with “git fetch”.

1: <https://yhetil.org/guix-patches/>
2:
<https://gitlab.com/zimoun/my-conf/-/blob/master/.local/bin/sync-public-inboxes.sh#L60-67>