Re: This is how you import a mailing list archives (e.g. guix-patches) i

From: zimoun
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2022 13:03:46 +0100

Hi Kyle,

On Mon, 05 Dec 2022 at 20:03, Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> wrote:

> In terms of cloning archives, plain cloning and fetching with Git is
> fine, but, if you have public-inbox locally, you can instead use
> public-inbox-clone and public-inbox-fetch, which will handle some
> details for you (e.g, cloning underlying epochs and recognizing that new
> epochs have been added):
>
>  $ public-inbox-clone https://yhetil.org/guix-patches
>
> Another option for fetching that's nice if you're mirror multiple repos
> is grokmirror:
>
>  * https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/grokmirror/grokmirror.git/about/
>  * example setup for guix:
> https://yhetil.org/guix-patches/878scww903.fsf@kyleam.com/

I fetch from yhetil.org (Git) and then convert to MailDir because I use
Notmuch as indexer (and reader :-)).  And I do not want to duplicate the
storage.  Therefore, after fetching and converting, the Git repo is
garbage collected,

        echo $head > $gitdir/shallow
        $git gc --quiet --prune=all

https://gitlab.com/zimoun/my-conf/-/blob/master/.local/bin/sync-public-inboxes.sh#L94-99

For instance, the current size of guix-patches on my machine is 152K
compared to the complete guix-patches Git repo of 277M.

Well, I have not investigated much with ’grokmirror’ and
’public-inbox-fetch’ and maybe it would also work smoothly with the same
trick; avoiding many manual plumbing.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
simon