Re: Help packaging R Quarto Cli

From: Sébastien Rey-Coyrehourcq
Subject: Re: Help packaging R Quarto Cli
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 21:41:01 +0100

Wojtek Kosior <koszko@koszko.org> writes:

>> Yes, you’re right i correct this thing, but this is weird in all case, here i
> clone all deno repository (at tag v1.25.2), and this is renamed as
> `deno-test-util-checkout-0-1-0’ because i’m only interested by this folder
>>
>> <https://git.sr.ht/~reyman/rust-channel/commit/00e9ef93bbe5a853b8a196305b6d86451c036156>
>
> Ah, I see why you wanted a name like this. Well, since the sources are
> the same as those of rust-deno, perhaps it would make sense to use the
> same origin as in rust-deno recipe?
>
> But don’t worry about this now. Your build of rust-deno-test-util
> evidently worked so cleaning up origin definitions can wait until
> everything else works :)
>
>> I found only one crate that use this method `git-fetch’ in the list :
>> <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/crates-io.scm#n1576>
>
> There are plenty in other package definition files, e.g. in
> gnu/packages/python-xyz.scm. It seems Rust is just that special case
> where git checkout is rarely needed.

Yes,  i’m not sure this case (source only without crate) is well managed by the
actual cargo-build-system ?
Anyway, discussions about “Rust Packaging” on IRC mention the building of a new
system, something cargo-less.

>> So i suppose this is possible to reuse as a dependency in another build…
>>
>> This is an intuition but i think i have a problem of ordering in my way to
>> do things :
>>
>> When i read the `cargo-build-system’ sources here (
> <https://github.com/ecbrown/guix/blob/master/guix/build/cargo-build-system.scm#L76>
> ) i see that the build input wait for an /gnu/store link that contain a
> `.crate’
> or the equivalent as `tar.gz’
>>
>> Or in my case, the /gnu/store link called by cargo contain only sources,
> because the `deno-util’ need to be built before creating .crate into the
> gnu/store. Perhaps i could cheating the system by providing myself a
> `gnu/store/xxxx.tar.gz’ that contain this sources.
>>
>> Inside my `rust-deno-test-util-1-0-0.scm` file i could `(invoke tar …)’
> command to generate a tar.gz at the root of the this folder. Do you think that
> could work ?
>>
>> Hum, not sure … the real problem is the fact that guix don’t build the
> derivation completely? (creating and storing a .crate for deno-test-util-0-1-0
> into /gnu/store) when i run build of main rust-deno.scm … only the source are
> present, and not the package resulting from the build of this derivation.
>>
>> Another way is to first compile deno-test-util.scm, that install the
> corresponding crate into /gnu/store, and after that i give this local path to
> the inputs of my main rust-deno.scm . But i don’t know how to give this path
> my cargo build system input .
>
> I’m getting a bit lost in trying to figure out what you think right
> now. The
> `/gnu/store/ma04jfp0f33kf38cdn66qai60nhqxx7d-rust-deno-test-util-0.1.0/`
> was a proper build of your `rust-deno-test-util` package and it
> contains a proper crate under `share/cargo/registry/`. Code in
> `cargo-build-system.scm` looks for crates in subdirectory
> `share/cargo/registry/` of every rust input package — all seems correct
> under the assumption that we want test_util to be supplied to deno
> build as a separate Guix package.
>
> It’s perhaps possible to achieve success with this assumption (I don’t
> know) but I wanted to instead suggest not creating a separate Guix
> package nor derivation for test_util. That’s what I meant when I wrote
> “it seems awkward to be required to provide the test_util package as a
> separate crate”. Sorry if I accidently mislead you with this.

Yes you’re right, this is probably awkard to maintain.

Hum, i will retry. What’s motivating me to try this packaging way is the
duration of compilation…
This fail only occur at the test phase, so after 2 hours of compilation…

When i use the “–keep-failed” option, and run a new build after fail from the
/tmp/guix-deno-xxx/ folder, everything finish well …

So this is more a problem at frontier between this nested package and
“cargo-build-system” that don’t run some nested crate build.

> Earlier you wrote
>
>> This nested crate package is not detected/compiled by actual
>> `cargo-build-system’, so i decide to package it myself , as
>> `rust-deno-test-util-0.1.0’
>
> What seems to be the most straightforward and promising way is to
> (somehow?) fix the build system to detect the nested package. I know,
> it’s easy to say — and you surely made extensive attempts before
> falling back to creating an extra definition for rust-deno-test-util.
> Hopefully, inspection of the build container will help shed some light
> on this.
>
> Also, the git-fetch issues will become nonexistent if you manage to do
> it this way :)

I will revert my code to manage the deno compilation without test phase.
My objective is quarto, and i don’t know much about the next obstacle :)
I see later for this nested crate.

> Since your rust-deno recipe uses `(method url-fetch)` with
> `(crate-uri)`, I’m starting to wonder if the tarball that’s being used
> in this case contains exactly the same files as the git checkout. I
> earlier assumed that it does when I suggested reusing the origin in
> your rust-deno-test-util recipe. But perhaps it doesn’t? I could
> imagine deno devs omitting e.g. `test_util/` from the source tarball
> they upload to the crates repo.:

As <https://github.com/denoland/deno/blob/v1.25.2/Cargo.toml#L5> say, the
`deno_root_package/test_util/' folder is well downloaded even with `method
url-fetch'

>> How do you reference/call/reuse a package that already exist in your
>> /gnu/store in a .scm file ?
>
> You don’t :)
>
> That’s the point of a functional package manager - there’s never need
> to *explicitly* reference files in the store. They are always referenced
> indirectly through packages, derivations, plain-file’s, gexps, etc. And
> they get created or reused automatically.

So you directly say into the scm, passing this unique path
`/gnu/store/xxxxx-deno-util-1-0-1' to input function ??

Thanks for your support and your kind word, that help me to continue :)

Best