re: Drafting a Guix blog post on the FHS container

From: Jim Newsome
Subject: re: Drafting a Guix blog post on the FHS container
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 17:39:21 -0600

Sorry for (presumably) breaking threading; I came across this online and don't see a way to set my in-reply-to-email header properly.

Anyways just thought I'd mention that I recently learned about this feature, and was able to use it to get a downloaded [Tor Browser Bundle] running with:

```
guix shell \
  --container \
  --network \
  --emulate-fhs \
  --preserve='^DISPLAY$'
  --share=/run/user/$(id -u)/gdm \
  openssl@1 \
  libevent \
  pciutils \
  dbus-glib \
  bash \
  libgccjit \
  libcxx \
  gtk+ \
  coreutils \
  grep \
  sed \
  file \
  alsa-lib \
  -- \
  ./start-tor-browser.desktop -v
```

`--preserve='^DISPLAY$'` and `--share=/run/user/$(id -u)/gdm` are to get access to the display. I'm not sure the second parameter is universally correct; I reverse-engineered it via roughly `ps aux | grep -- -auth`.

The `-v` parameter to the browser script keeps it from trying to background itself, which otherwise causes the container and browser to terminate.

It'd ultimately be nice to package the Tor Browser Bundle properly for guix, but it's nice to be able to use it this way in the meantime.

-Jim

[Tor Browser Bundle]: https://www.torproject.org/download/