Re: Can't type Japanese anymore

From: Luis Felipe
Subject: Re: Can't type Japanese anymore
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 21:07:53 +0000

Hi Yasu,

On Monday, December 26th, 2022 at 22:17, Yasuaki Kudo <yasu@yasuaki.com> wrote:

> It has been a long time since I switched to Ubuntu (and I use Guix as an
> additional package manager in Ubuntu - this way I get maximum mainstream
> compatibility, which is very helpful for work, and the flexibility that comes
> with Guix! ) but just one thing I vaguely remember for situations like this -
> if you create another fresh user and try with almost no specific
> configuration in /home/another-user , would the problem still persist?

Unfortunatelly, yes. Although I tried on another Guix System that didn't have
ibus set up yet. I did the ibus dance, could add input methods like Spanish,
English, and switch between them normally with Super+Space, but Japanese
(Anthy) was not listed as an available input method, even though it is
installed.

But then I changed to my machine, went to GNOME Keyboard settings to see if I
could try adding and using any of the other Japanese input methods and, lo and
behold, Japanese (Anthy) was listed magically. But adding it and switching to
it doesn't let me type Japanese, even with Hiragana input mode selected.

I'll restart my desktop session and hope for more magic events :)