Re: Packaging Grafana

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Packaging Grafana
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 12:46:44 -0500

On Sun, Jan 15, 2023 at 09:18:08AM +0000, phodina wrote:
> I've tried to use the guix import​ command, however, it fails to add even the
> Go dependencies.

I confirmed, it only outputs a package definition for Grafana itself. I
wonder what goes wrong. It does output a bunch of packages for at least
one other signficantly complex Go package.

> Also since the dependency chain is obviously huge how should the porting be
> done?

Well, there are a few options:

1) Make the importer work. This is the best because everyone can benefit
from the improvements. But, motivation is not fungible.

2) Do it by hand. Maybe it seems crazy but that's how we did some big Go
package graphs initially. Obviously, there is a difference between 100
packages and 1000 packages...

3) If the Grafana source code bundles ("vendors") its dependencies, just
use the bundled source code, assuming it actually is all freely
licensed. This is suboptimal and goes against our norms, but it doesn't
violate the FSDG.