Re: libgit2 shallow clone (was Re: Packaging Grafana)

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: libgit2 shallow clone (was Re: Packaging Grafana)
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 17:34:24 +0100

Hi,

On lun., 16 janv. 2023 at 17:02, Csepp <raingloom@riseup.net> wrote:

> It would be worth it for importers.  If I remember correctly, the
> reasoning for writing importers as Guile modules is reducing Guix's
> closure size, but that's nonsense when it comes to importing packages,
> because 99.9999% of the time you are going to be using the language's
> tooling anyways, because you will want to actually compile those
> imported packages.
> The Rust importer already loads guile-json or whatever at runtime, there
> is nothing wrong with having a similar runtime-only dependency on the Go
> compiler.

To add on this point, please also note that Subversion is required for
“guix import tex” (and probably also for packages using ’svn-fetch’).

Well, I think that Guix should be more modular using more extensions.
It would allow both of the 2 constraints: for one a small closure for
Guix proper and for two many external tools often required by importer.

Cheers,
simon