Re: how can I download a video in Guix?

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: how can I download a video in Guix?
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 13:04:12 +0000

Hi,

It's just:

  $ yt-dlp https://URL

where URL is copied from the address bar of your browser, or a hyperlink, or...

Are you having trouble with that?  If so, please share details.

yt-dlp will extract the video from the Web page, you do not have to extract the
video URL yourself.

Some ('obscure') Web sites aren't supported, but the most common are.  All are
moving targets so keep yt-dlp up to date.

The version of yt-dlp in Guix is generally recent but might suffer from not
having the latest Python version.

One tip: install ffmpeg too.  It's optional, as it should be, but without it
each YouTube video I've downloaded was reported as 'malformed'.

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent on the go.  Excuse or enjoy my brevity.