Re: attempt to create a profile

From: Csepp
Subject: Re: attempt to create a profile
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 17:30:47 +0000

Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to create a profile with "Musescore 3.6"
> but 3 times it failed during building process.
>
> So I had to create the profile with "Musescore 4".
>
> Now I have Musescore 4 in my main profile and in my Musescore profil.
>
> So the problem is now, how do I know when opening "Musescore" which
> one will open.
> Using the menu it opens "musescore 4" in my main profile
> Using an icon it opens "musescore 3.6" the earlier version, which I
> need as well.
>
> 1.
> if I enter "musescore" in my bash
> it doesn’t open this package.
> Why?
> If this profile is open/sourced, it should open this package.
> Other packages from my main profile like icecat, gedit, pluma open
> immeadiately.

> Today, without doing anything
> I did a:
> guix package -p /home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore/guix-profil
>
> and the outcome was:
>
> gfp@Tuxedo ~$ guix package -p /home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore/guix-profil
> --list-installed
> musescore     4.0     out
> /gnu/store/7iwmb7qf56ybrl0ayzyr3w14h3azdg8p-musescore-4.0
> gfp@Tuxedo ~$
> This means I was already in this profile, or better to say, both
> profiles were open at the same time
> without sourcing it today.

It means that that profile has that package installed.
Running the above command does not activate the profile, it just
inspects it.

> This means for me that, when I tried to source this profile earlier,
> I opened it, but didn’t manage to close it.

There is no (easy) way to close a profile if it was sourced.
If you used guix shell to enter it, closing it is as easy as exiting the
shell.

> 2.
> Is it better to close it, or leave several profiles open at the same time?

There is no "better".  It depends on what you are doing.  Also I'm not
sure what you think closing a profile means.  Are you talking about
having multiple profiles opened in the same shell?  Or all the profiles
open in all the shells?
But honestly I don't think you have to worry about this if you only have
one or two profiles in addition to the default user level and system
level ones.
And if you do want to worry: the worst thing that can happen with lots
of profiles open in the same shell is that you get confused about which
package comes from which profile.

> 3.
> Is it a problem when both/more profiles are always open?

If you want them to literally always be open, just merge them with your
default profile, otherwise you are just asking for trouble.
If you mean "often" and not "always", then no, it's just that the mental
overhead increases.

> 4.
> what does it mean for my bash/MATE terminal?
> Shouldn’t I be able to open "musescore" in both profiles?
> Is so, what do I have to enter in the bash to open this or that "musescore"

The terminal emulator does not matter, only the bash process it runs
matters.
If you run the musescore command, its location is looked up in the PATH
environment variable.  The profile that was loaded last "wins".  That's
why I recommend thinking of profiles not so much as being opened and
closed, but as being stacked on top of each other.  Whatever is at the
top of the stack is what bash (and other programs) look at first.
If multiple profiles in your "stack" provide the same command, then the
easiest way to refer to a specific one is by using its path in the
profile:
~/.guix-profile/bin/musescore: this is the one in your default profile
/home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore/guix-profil/bin/musescore: this is the one
in your custom profile

ps.: I'd appreciate if you kept the threads in bottom-reply order,
because it's much harder to refer back to previous messages if you
don't.