Re: attempt to create a profile

From: Kyle Andrews
Subject: Re: attempt to create a profile
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 04:45:10 +0000

Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> writes:

> I am using multiple profiles and I barely hit collisions.  Given one
> specific revision of Guix, collisions should not be possible – it means
> something is wrong somewhere with package definition; although, maybe it
> is impossible to avoid some collisions with large number of packages,
> anyway. :-)
>
> Most of the time, collisions happen when the profile are coming from
> different revision of Guix.  And try to combine several profiles from
> different revision is, IMHO, some source of troubles impossible to
> solve.

I had in mind my troubles where mixing multiple profiles gave me
headaches finding documentation. For example, I have one profile for
emacs related packages and one profile for routine R related packages. I
still cannot see the info documentation for the info related packages
unless I go about creating a dedicated environment. See (nota)bug
#55709. Similarly, I am currently trying to work through an issue with
my email configuration. Frustratingly many man page references don't go
anywhere or just don't exist because there is confusion about where to
look for this.  That is quite confusing behavior for new users.

=> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/55709

In my case I am hopeful there must be some way to extend the man and info
paths when multiple profiles are activated, and maybe that would resolve
my particular issue. I would love a suggestion to be placed in the
cookbook about this.