Re: attempt to scan in Guix

From: nils
Subject: Re: attempt to scan in Guix
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 12:43:58 +0100 (CET)

> Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> hat am 25.02.2023 10:41 CET geschrieben:
>

> I checked the SANE database and it seems that my printer is not
> supported, because of the older version of SANE in Guix.

Some HP printers *require* a proprietary plugin to scan. In my case (LaserJet
Pro MFP M127fw), I can print without hplip, but not scan.
But I'm using guix on a foreign (Debian) system, and haven't managed to set up
hplip-plugin (from nonguix) yet.

There is a list of which printers require the plugin at
https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/binary_plugin.html

My guess (and it is only a guess) would be that you will not have any luck with
libsane if your printer shows up on that list.