Re: attempt to scan in Guix

From: Gottfried
Subject: Re: attempt to scan in Guix
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 17:03:35 +0000

Hi,

thank you very much. It was the right command.

scanimage -L

but it didn’t find a scanner:

No scanners were identified

with sudo it found my printer/scanner

sudo scanimage -L
Passwort: device `hpaio:/usb/Officejet_J4500_series?serial=CN92G561F4052T' is a Hewlett-Packard Officejet_J4500_series all-in-one

"sudo sane-find-scanner"

 # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
  # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [HP], product=0x2a12 [Officejet J4500 series])
at libusb:003:006
could not fetch string descriptor: Pipe error
could not fetch string descriptor: Pipe error
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
  # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

  # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
  # can't be detected by this program.

it found a usb scanner, but could not fetch string descriptor.

1.
does this message say that proprietary software is the problem?

Please read the documentation

2.
Can I read documentation with the terminal, having no documentation on paper? Which commands I have to use?

Kind regards

Gottfried