Re: Examples of local-host-entries or hosts-service-type?

From: Sergiu Ivanov
Subject: Re: Examples of local-host-entries or hosts-service-type?
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 19:05:37 +0100

Hi Bruno and Remco,

Thank you for your messages and sorry for the delay with the answer.

Bruno Victal <mirai@makinata.eu> [2023-02-21T17:45:09+0100]:
> Hi Remco,
>
> On 2023-02-11 11:46, Remco van 't Veer wrote:
>>        (hosts-service-type config =>
>>                            (cons* (host "some.ip.address.1" "machine1")
>>                                   (host "some.other.ip.address" "machine2")
>>                                   (local-host-entries host-name)))))
>
> This is not the "right" way to do use the service, the proper way is to
> extend this service
> (as described in the manual) by:
>
> (simple-service 'add-extra-hosts
>                 hosts-service-type
>                 (list (host "192.0.2.1" "example.com"
>                             '("example.net" "example.org"))
>                       (host "2001:db8::1" "example.com"
>                             '("example.net" "example.org"))))

Thanks a lot!  I added this to my services in operating-system and it
worked flawlessly.

> You only override the hosts-service-type value when you don't want to have
> 'localhost' as an alias of your _hostname_ or you don't want to set
> '127.0.0.1' / '::1'
> as IPs for localhost / _hostname_.

Oh, good to know that!

>> local-host-entries
>
> This procedure is for internal guix use, it isn't really meant to be used
> outside.
> In fact, I think it shouldn't be exported at all since it's only use is to
> set the default value of
> hosts-service-type.

I have just done a guix pull and the new version of Guix does not
recognize local-host-entries any more. Apparently someone has removed
the export, as you suggested.

In terms of the docs, I don't find the entry for hosts-service-type here
any more:

https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/manual/devel/en/html_node/Service-Reference.html

even though this is where I found the information about
hosts-service-type last week, and a cached version of the page still
shows this entry.

I guess Guix People are working on the subject at the moment, so I will
contain my zeal to update the documentation a little bit :D

-
Sergiu