Re: Examples of local-host-entries or hosts-service-type?

From: Sergiu Ivanov
Subject: Re: Examples of local-host-entries or hosts-service-type?
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 19:33:07 +0100

Hi Gary,

Gary Johnson <lambdatronic@disroot.org> [2023-02-21T16:33:25+0100]:
> 2023/02/10 23:40, Sergiu Ivanov:
>>
>> Could someone point me to an example of how I should update
>> my configuration?
>
>   I just went through this exercise myself, and I decided to keep my
> extra /etc/hosts entries in a separate text file using the original
> hosts format. This makes them much easier for me to read and edit. To
> provide them to the `hosts-service-type` service, I went ahead and wrote
> a little importer function in Scheme that I thought some other folks
> might benefit from.

Wow, thanks a lot for sharing!  You even handle comments :clap:

I admit that I literally have 2 entries to add to my /etc/hosts, so
I will still go with the manual addition as suggested by Bruno and
Remco, but I will keep your solution in mind!

> Also, please note that the Guix info pages are incorrect for
> `hosts-service-type` and `host`. The docs say they are exported by `(gnu
> services)`, but they are actually located in `(gnu services base)`.

Yeah, people seem to be actively working on this particular part of Guix
at the moment, including the docs.  I guess stuff will get fixed soon.

-
Sergiu