Re: Newbie user: Feedback on custom package definition

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: Re: Newbie user: Feedback on custom package definition
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2023 10:54:41 -0800

On 2023-03-02, Gary Johnson wrote:
> Rodrigo Morales <moralesrodrigo1100@gmail.com> writes:
>> 3 The questions
>> ===============
>>
>>   + What changes would you do to improve the definition of the package
>>     that I wrote?
>
> Whenever possible, you should not be using the `trivial-build-system`.

I often wonder if the name "trivial-build-system" should not be
something more like:

  diy-get-your-hands-messy-with-a-lot-of-effort-build-system

I think the word "trivial" implies to people that it should be easy to
use with trivial packaging tasks, when in fact, the build system does so
little that you actually have to do a lot of work to get it to generate
a proper package... I certainly fell down that trap when I first started
working on some packages...

live well,
  vagrant