Re: Newbie user: Feedback on custom package definition

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: Newbie user: Feedback on custom package definition
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2023 14:41:15 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, 02 Mar 2023 at 19:57, "(" <paren@disroot.org> wrote:
> On Thu Mar 2, 2023 at 6:54 PM GMT, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
>> I often wonder if the name "trivial-build-system" should not be
>> something more like:
>>
>>   diy-get-your-hands-messy-with-a-lot-of-effort-build-system
>
> Maybe PRIMITIVE-BUILD-SYSTEM?

Well, I am not convinced that we should change the name.  It is there
since some many years. :-)

However, we could improve the manual.  For instance, it reads [1] «A
notable exception is the “bare-bones” trivial-build-system (see Build
Systems).»

Then under “Build System“ section [2], this “bare-bones” could be more
explicit.  For example, extend a bit its documentation [3].

Well, it will mitigate a bit the common “trap” about the most
non trivial build system. :-)

1: <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Build-Phases>
2: <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Build-Systems>
3: