Re: Grub installation and configuration

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Grub installation and configuration
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2023 17:12:34 +0100

Hi Emmanuel,

Emmanuel Beffara <manu@beffara.org> skribis:

> - Install the keymaps in the EFI partition like the Grub modules, so that the
>   proper keymap is setup early in the boot process.

[...]

> - Set the terminal_output before any user input is required (and in particular
>   the passphrase request), for proper interaction.

[...]

> - Offer the option to put kernels and initrds in the EFI partition (and also
>   any resource needed by Grub like the background picture, locales etc), so
>   that Grub can be fully functional without decrypting. Apart from solving the
>   issue of having to enter the passphrase twice and with different keymaps,
>   this would also allow having Guix System in an encrypted partition while
>   allowing to boot other systems without requiring its passphrase.
>
> I would love to propose patches for that but I am too much of a beginner with
> Guix to be able to do that right now…

All good points!

Maybe what you can do, then, is report each issue to bug-guix@gnu.org
separately and provide guidance for the GRUB side of things: what should
the generated ‘grub.cfg’ look like after each of these points is
addressed?

In return, an experienced Guix person can provide guidance on the Guix
side of things so we converge towards an actual patch set.

Deal?  :-)

Ludo’.