Re: midi

From: Marek Paśnikowski
Subject: Re: midi
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 09:38:41 +0000

------- Original Message -------
czwartek, 23 marca 2023 17:48, Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de>:

> Some shady practices hint to certain problems,
> they need money and misuse people.
> Of course, the developers are not included in that ... I guess.

I want to make clear a different distinction -
software should not be judged on basis of its creators.
One of the benefits of software freedom is that anyone can take over projects
gone wrong.

> I don’t want to investigate that, I have better things to do,
> but if you have an ethical understanding of "loving/helping people",
> such things shouldn’t happen.

Be careful with this understanding.
GPL is based on very precise, technical definitions of the four freedoms
in order to avoid any emotional biases.
Many tyrannical governments were sold on this premise of "helping the oppressed
society".

> Lilypond is GNU-Projekt AFAIU
> so it has a better background and I guess people are not mistreated.
> It is always better, if possible, to use GNU packages
> because we all now why.

MuseScore is also GPL3-licensed,
why would you deem it "worse" just because it is not under the GNU umbrella?
I suggest to rethink this decision in a rational way -
you may be surprised by the results.

> But for now I have to solve my midi problem
> in order to be able to use lilypond at all.

At the end of the day,
it is your free choice to use different software.
I am sorry that I am not able to provide helpful advice regarding Lilypond.

> Am 23.03.23 um 15:17 schrieb Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide:
>
> > Marek Paśnikowski marekpasnikowski@protonmail.com writes:

Look at the Microsoft's takeover of Nokia
when they were about to release the first real-Linux phone
for an example of a similar sabotage.

We should not throw the baby out with the bathwater here.
If Musescore is GPL3, is the best free music notation software created,
it just works and happens to have some bad people associated with its brand -
maybe we should boycott those people instead of boycotting the software?

With regards,
Marek Pasnikowski