LaTeX: Need help with packaging a book in GNU Guix

From: Artyom V. Poptsov
Subject: LaTeX: Need help with packaging a book in GNU Guix
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 06:51:06 +0300

Hello Guixers,

I'm writing a book[1] in LaTeX and I want to make a reproducible build
of it and package the book for GNU Guix.  The book builds with a simple
hand-written Makefile for now.

There are lots of examples of LaTeX package definitions in Guix for
sure, but unfortunately I found no examples of packaged books written in
LaTeX.

I'm sure that there are avid LaTeX users in the community, seeing how
many LaTeX packages are getting into the upstream.  I'd appreciate if
someone give me a link to a working "package" definition for a LaTeX
book or any hint how to proceed further with my task.

For now I've written "guix.scm"[2] that allows me to build the book in
the pure Guix shell:

guix shell --pure -D -f guix.scm
make -j$(nproc)

But unfortunately when I try

guix build -f guix.scm

Then I'm getting errors that "Liberation Serif" font is not found:

(/gnu/store/h7iqqr3aajqhjkib2k2g0zipag2ya41s-texlivetexmf-20230313/share/texmf-
dist/tex/latex/fontspec/fontspec.cfg)))

! Package fontspec Error: The font "Liberation Serif" cannot be found.

For immediate help type H <return>.

l.8 \setmonofont
                {Liberation Mono}
?

Moreover I see that the build tries to update the font cache but fails
to do that because the part of the file system it tries to write to is
read-only:

(/gnu/store/h7iqqr3aajqhjkib2k2g0zipag2ya41s-texlivetexmf-20230313/share/texmf-
dist/tex/latex/base/book.cls
Document Class: book 2022/07/02 v1.4n Standard LaTeX document class

(/gnu/store/h7iqqr3aajqhjkib2k2g0zipag2ya41s-texlivetexmf-20230313/share/texmf-
dist/tex/latex/base/bk10.cloFontconfig error: No writable cache directories
Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories
))

Please find the full build log attached.

Thanks!

- avp