Re: GnuHurd

From: Santiago Vila
Subject: Re: GnuHurd
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 23:27:51 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 2 May 2005, DANIEL hoggan wrote:

> Where can I find GNUs' File system for the Hurd?

If you refer to partition type 0x63 as shown by fdisk and other
partitioning tools, there is not a "GNU filesystem" yet. The Hurd
uses ext2 for now. I suppose the code which makes the Hurd to
understand ext2 filesystems should be in the /hurd/ext2fs translator,
if that's what you are asking for.

I'm not sure about the meaning of your other questions, nor I feel
qualified enough to answer them, but I would strongly suggest that you
try the Hurd yourself. GNUMach is slow and not very reliable, so the Hurd
developers are currently working on replacing GNUMach by an L4 microkernel.