help-libidn

Re: stdint.h usability on IRIX

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: stdint.h usability on IRIX
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 22:47:16 +0100

"Rainer M. Canavan" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've just updated my installation of libidn to 1.26. Configure
> automatically switches to c99 mode, so that it can use the IRIX
> system stdint.h, which is protected by
>
> #ifndef __c99
> #error This header file is to be used only for c99 mode compilations
> #else
>
> The problem is that the C++-Compiler is _not_ c99 compatible, so
> that no C++ program can use idna.h or tld.h. One solution would be
> to explicitly test header file usability with C and C++ compilers,
> but since C++ is not used, I'd suggest explicitly disabling stdint.h
> if __sgi (but not __gnuc__) is defined.

Hi.  Thanks for the report.  It is a known issue that you need to build
applications that use libidn with the same compiler that compiled libidn
itself.  Thus, could you compile libidn using the C++ compiler instead?
E.g., ./configure CC=cxx or something.  This might not work for other
reasons, but at least you could try it.

> There used to be a similar problem with curl, documented here:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/p/curl/bugs/889/

Thanks for the link -- maybe we can do something here to improve the
situation.

I wonder when this problem was introduced, I recall building libidn on
IRIX in older times.  Not much has changed since then, so maybe there is
some other workaround that I used but have forgotten.

/Simon