help-libidn

Re: idna_to_ascii_lz success even if no conversion to current locale

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: idna_to_ascii_lz success even if no conversion to current locale
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 19:00:48 +0200

Ray Satiro <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I notice that idna_to_ascii_lz can return success even if the string
> could not be converted from the current locale due to being built
> without libiconv [1][2], and that doesn't appear to be documented. The
> result appears to be libidn without libiconv treats the locale encoded
> string as utf-8 and attempts to convert from utf-8 to punycode. Could
> someone explain if that is intended or not and whether there are any
> implications I should look into.

Hello.  Thanks for analysis.  You are indeed correct.  Why would you use
libidn without libiconv?  And in particular the idna_to_ascii_lz
function?

I see some solutions here:

1) Make libiconv a hard requirement of libidn.

2) Document the behaviour you have found, as a negative side-effect of
building libidn without libiconv.

3) Make locale-related functions return an error when libidn was built
without libiconv.

I don't have a strong opinion here.  I think we should understand better
why libidn is used without libiconv in the real world before making
decisions.

/Simon