help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Happy new year! ( and more levels)

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Happy new year! ( and more levels)
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 20:11:47 +0100

Pedro Aguirrezabal wrote:
The last picture look awesome for a background!
Yep 8-)

    Thanks, it sounds real cool! Please tell if you need some vector
    shapes.
I will.

    It might also be possible to use a sprite_alpha.jpeg on a "color
    object". That could create bitmap sprites with variable colors. If
    this isn't too much work, please consider it. Some well
    designed bitmap background could add a lot to the game.
Sort of "best of both world" option. Use the ease of designing textures with whatever tool the artist feels comfortable with, then colorize it dynamically according to colors picked from the level itself, or, at your option, defined in an XML file.

This is very (very!) likely to be implemented.

    I don't exactly understands how this will work ... but it sounds
    real exciting! Please mail me the documentation when you have it
    ready, so I can begin using it in my levels.
This is the purpose of upcoming 0.3beta : put all current documentation online. The game in itself might be even less functionnal that 0.2beta (some things might be broken) but documentation should be more up-to-date.

    My idea uses 3D, yes. But I wouldn't call it "fancy" 3D, since only
    the warriors are shown in 3d, while texture.jpeg are displayed the
    same way as in all my previous levels. Even the default menu is more
    fancy, since the cylinders contain shadows!

    The method has been used in a lot of earlier adventure games, but
    has died out since modern machines are able to display the locations
    in real 3D. But I think it still as some potential combined with
    some good artwork.
Yeah, in fact the reality is that on most modern hardware, 2D acceleration is done using 3D hardware, and indeed the current LW6 rendering uses a 3D projection, the point is just that the perspective is isometric/orthogonal so it gives an illusion of 2D, but 3D wouldn't cost more.

    The level could also have an alternative texture, which is used to
    display the level in the usual, flat view. That way the level could
    be rendered on all machines.
To be honest, I'm not a "dual texture" advocate. We should try to use the same material to build all views, possibly deteriorating quality on "non-high-level" renderers, but designing things twice is (my opinion) dangerous in the long run.

    I have attached 3d.jpeg to show the concept:
    1st illustration shows the warrior layer in normal, flat view.
    2nd illustration shows the warrior layer in 3D view.
    3rd illustration are the texture.jpeg which are placed below the 3D
    warrior layer.
I'm sure we could automatically generate the 3D stuff from 2D sketches. I will certainly give it a good try.

Have a nice day,

Christian.

--
Christian Mauduit <address@hidden> - http://www.ufoot.org/ ___ __/\__