help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Re: Liquid War 6

From: Timothy Anderson
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Re: Liquid War 6
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 19:49:31 -0500

Hey guys. I finally decided to sit down and start work on this. I'm
sorry it's taken me this long to get back to you. I hope I haven't
been holding you back in any way. I've had a lot of things going on
recently and just haven't been able to focus my attention on this.

I have attached a sample of what I'm thinking would look and work the
best for the game. I have to stress that it's rough, and is not
considered finished, but it gives you an idea of what I'm thinking.

I personally think that it would be best to integrate the ping,
bandwidth (I'm not exactly sure what this is; isn't the bandwidth the
ping? If not, what is important about it? I'm curious because I want
display it properly) and total number of assimilated players (frags)
into the "chat area", or chat window, and give the player the option
to toggle it on or off, like in FPS games. Most of that information
just doesn't seem like it would be that important to casual gamers,
and cluttering up the immediate hud with it doesn't seem right. Let me
know if I'm wrong in any way on this. I'm only thinking it's best to
keep the screen as simple and clean-looking as possible, and allow the
player easy access to that information if he or she wants or needs to
know it.

Okay, on to the hud I threw together:

In the center, as you can obviously see, is Haviid's map. You may or
may not like the idea of it being scaled down like that. I'm wondering
if you'd rather do something like what I did in the image, or would
rather have smaller, more transparent "images" for the hud, to keep
the map from being too "hidden". Let me know what you're thinking on
this. I see that in the beta it's really more like this, so I went
ahead and did it also.

In the top, left hand corner, is the "health" of the player. This
displays how much liquid the player has in the map.

We could start out with less than 100%, then go up as the player
assimilates the other liquid on the map, up to 100%. Of course this
would be proportional to how many players are in the game. So, for
instance, for a two player game, each player starts out with 50%
health, and as one accumulates more liquid the meter goes up; while
the other's goes down.

I was also thinking it would be best to make this part the color the
player chooses for their liquid or team.

The two little circles in the bottom right hand corner are the team or
opponent's health meter. Works just like the player's. We could
possibly add symbols here in place of names. Just a thought.

As far as the time display goes, I think I'll just put that down in
the corner with the opponent/team health in the form of digits. Easy
to read; easy to recognize.

I still haven't fleshed out a design for the chat area or the
"end-game" score screen, but I wanted to know what you thought of this
idea first. Let me know what you guys think!

Tim