question on gmake

From: John Jamulla
Subject: question on gmake
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 13:52:38 -0500

Hi,

Ok here's what I am trying to do:

I did the following in one makefile, that is included in another
makefile:

define baseline_vps
vpath %.cpp $(RISS_BASELINE_ROOT)/$(SRCPATH)
MORE vpath LINES.......
endef

Later on in one of the makefiles I try to use the above define,
not in a rule, but just as "text" in a different place in the
makefile. Father on down...

ifeq ($RISS_BUILD_LEVEL), baseline)
$(baseline_vps)
endif

I get an error

*** missing separator.  stop.

Happens on the line inside of ifeq above. The $(baseline_vps)

I don't know if I can do this, or what's wrong. This is really
useful to me, since I really want to define a set of vapth's
depending on some other variables. The above example is very
simple.

Can you tell me what i am doing wrong?

I am using gmake 3.76.1, maybe it's not in 3.76.1, maybe I need
3.77

Sincerely,
        John Jamulla