Re: question on gmake

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: question on gmake
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 16:04:18 -0500

%% "John Jamulla" <address@hidden> writes:

  jj> define baseline_vps
  jj> vpath %.cpp $(RISS_BASELINE_ROOT)/$(SRCPATH)
  jj> MORE vpath LINES.......
  jj> endef

  jj> Later on in one of the makefiles I try to use the above define,
  jj> not in a rule, but just as "text" in a different place in the
  jj> makefile.

You cannot do this.  Make variables cannot contain makefile fragments.

This is a feature that will be available in the next version of GNU make
(3.80).  There is no set timeframe for its release yet.

  jj> I don't know if I can do this, or what's wrong. This is really
  jj> useful to me, since I really want to define a set of vapth's
  jj> depending on some other variables.

The best you can do now is either (a) use ifeq or whatever, or (b) put
the vpath lists in individual files, and include them with:

  include baseline_vps.mk
  include $(THESE)_vps.mk

or whatever.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/