gnu make and compile engines.

From: Barry D Benowitz
Subject: gnu make and compile engines.
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 14:50:48 -0400

The environment that I am after is where the developer sits at a desk running
a local version of Unix (usually Linux, but possibly sunOS) and would like to
do his development locally as much as possible. However, the code should be
compiled on a "compile engine"

I have been using custom rules and enclosing the compile command in a "rsh"
wrapper, but I have been unable to have gnu make understand when the compile
fails.

I have tried saving the results in a file on the remote system, examine the
file locally and issuing an exit 1 command in a shell script, but it doesn't
seem to work.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to do this?

Thanks.

Barry

--
Barry D. Benowitz - FAQ maintainer for alt.lefthanders
Email:address@hidden