Re: Solaris 8

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Solaris 8
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 17:38:49 -0400

%% Lynda Morrison <address@hidden> writes:

  lm> I am trying to install the gnu compiler on a Solaris 8 machine.
  lm> It currently does not have a make, so I was trying to build the
  lm> gnu make to use for the compiler.  Following the directions to use
  lm> the build.sh (since I don't have a make), I am getting the
  lm> following error message:

You actually almost certainly do have a "make".  Look in /usr/ccs/bin;
that's where Sun hides its build tools.

What you don't have is a C compiler, unless you bought Sun's add-on C
compiler (/usr/ccs/bin/cc is just a stub that prints "too bad!").

  lm> compiling ar.c...
  lm> ./build.sh: @CC@: not found

  lm> Is this telling me that it can't find a compiler?

Probably.

  lm> How do I build make without a compiler?

You can't.  You can't build any C program without a C compiler, of course
(including building a C compiler itself!)

  lm> I thought there was supposed to be a pre-compiled version that I
  lm> could download for this purpose.

The FSF / GNU project doesn't have precompiled versions of any of its
tools available via FTP; never has.

You can purchase CD's containing prebuilt versions of GNU program from
the FSF; follow http://www.gnu.org

  lm> Could you point me in the right direction here?

There are lots of sites on the Internet that make prebuilt versions of
GNU tools available.  Google is a good resource for finding them.

For Solaris, your best bet is probably http://sunfreeware.com

HTH...

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/