Re: how to disable RCS, SCCS implicit rules?

From: gk
Subject: Re: how to disable RCS, SCCS implicit rules?
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 06:57:03 -0800

At 08:12 AM 11/9/2002 -0500, Paul D. Smith wrote:
  g> %:: RCS/%,v
  g> %:: RCS/%
  g> %:: s.%
  g> %:: SCCS/s.%

  >> You can delete pattern rules.  See the GNU make manual, section
  >> "Canceling Implicit Rules".

  g> That section only says how to cancel rules that have commands by
  g> writing a rule without commands.  The manual does not seem to
  g> address how to cancel implicit rules that have no commands.

I don't understand your comment.  All the above rules have commands.
There aren't any pattern rules without commands.

What are the commands?
They look like what the manual calls "terminal double-colon rules"

You previously wrote:
If you use "make -p -f/dev/null" you can tell which rules will and won't
be removed by clearing .SUFFIXES prerequisite list fairly easily: any

That is where I got the rules for RCS, SCCS.

I do not want make to waste time and clutter my debug output searching for RCS and SCCS files since I don't have any.

I quote from the manual:
>   For example, the built-in implicit rules for extracting sources from
RCS and SCCS files are terminal; as a result, if the file `foo.c,v' does
not exist, `make' will not even consider trying to make it as an
intermediate file from `foo.c,v.o' or from `RCS/SCCS/s.foo.c,v'.  RCS
and SCCS files are generally ultimate source files, which should not be
remade from any other files; therefore, `make' can save time by not
looking for ways to remake them.

- Greg Keraunen