Re: bug work-around?

From: Soren A
Subject: Re: bug work-around?
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 19:46:23 +0000 (UTC)

A bit tangential to the overall direction the discussion took, but i'd like
to comment on:

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 18:58:50 GMT, "Paul D. Smith" <address@hidden> wrote in

> Command-line overrides take precedence over variable settings,
> even target-specific variable settings.  You'd have to do this:
>
>   $(LIBOBJ): override CFLAGS += -fpic
>
> although I'm not sure if that actually works or not :).

It has for me! I've certainly used that construct and admire it quite a
lot. It's very pretty in my eyes: it is clear exactly what it does, and to
whom ;-).

> Typically what one does is _NOT_ use CFLAGS for this; as per the GNU
> standards you use a different variable in the makefile to store C
> compiler flags and you let users have CFLAGS for their own use.  Then
> you just put both variables into the compile line.

Yes, that's true.

   Best,
     Soren A