Re: How to debug shell cmds?

From: Jens Schweikhardt
Subject: Re: How to debug shell cmds?
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:47:34 +0100

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 10:17:50AM +0100, Dusan Juhas wrote:
# Sorry. That sometimes happens when I do more that one thing at once ;-)
# I mean - what to do if I want to stop 'make' everytime a shell cmd
# is invoked?
#
# Eg:
# ...
# ifeq ($(PROF), on)
# DEFINES += -DKERNEL_PROF
# endif
#         $(STRIP) -o target $(TARGETOUT)
# ...
#
# Well, now it seems that first 3 lines are make commands and 4th line
# is shell cmd. But is there any option/way to tell 'make' to do
# a certain action before (or after) invoking any shell cmd?

Yes. You change the SHELL make variable and then invoke debugsh
doing whatever you want and then runs the actual shell command. Tested:

$ cat Makefile
all:
        @echo foo
        @ls Makefile debugsh 2>/dev/null || true
$ cat debugsh
#!/bin/sh

echo '===> Type Enter to execute sh' "$@"
read dummy
exec sh "$@"
$ chmod 755 debugsh
$ gmake
foo
Makefile        debugsh
$ gmake SHELL=debugsh
===> Type Enter to execute sh -c echo foo

foo
===> Type Enter to execute sh -c ls Makefile debugsh 2>/dev/null || true

Makefile        debugsh

Regards,

        Jens
--