Re: Creating a unique list from a bunch of duplicates

From: Christoph Schulz
Subject: Re: Creating a unique list from a bunch of duplicates
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 11:36:30 +0200

Hello!

Hi,

I need to be able to take a list of directories and remove the duplicates without sorting the list. For example, if I have "-L/abc/lib -L/def/lib -L/abc/lib" I would like to get back "-L/abc/lib -L/def/lib". I would like to do this within make so that I don't have to call a bunch of shell functions. I've talked to a number of other gmake makefile writers and they agree that this would be very helpful. Is there such a function in make? (Like $(unique list) or some such?) If not, has someone well versed in functional programming put together a bunch of filter/foreach/search/etc functions to do this? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you know of a better location to send this request to, please let me know.

# Removes duplicates in a list of words without changing order.
# $(1) = list of words
# (put everything below into one line!)
devRemoveDuplicates = $(if $(1),$(strip $(word 1,$(1)) $(call
devRemoveDuplicates,$(filter-out $(word 1,$(1)),$(1)))))

It works with make 3.80 and newer.

HTH,
  Christoph