Re: Creating a unique list from a bunch of duplicates

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Creating a unique list from a bunch of duplicates
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 08:27:43 -0400

%% "J. Davison de St. Germain" <address@hidden> writes:

  jddsg> Thanks to the people who have sent me responses.  While I
  jddsg> haven't been able to try them out (as I have make 3.79 and not
  jddsg> the required 3.80) they look like just what I need.  However,
  jddsg> it would be really nice if there was an equivalent for version
  jddsg> 3.79.  I've looked at all of our systems (SGIs, Linux, Mac)
  jddsg> (even new ones we just received) and they all have make 3.79.
  jddsg> Does anyone happen to know when 3.80 will become "the
  jddsg> standard"?

You'll have to ask the distributors of those systems.

  jddsg> Also, do the developers of gnu make read this list?

Yes.

  jddsg> If so, is this "unique" function something that they are
  jddsg> considering adding to the system so a separate function doesn't
  jddsg> have to be written by everyone?

Probably not, but it's possible.  In the next major version of GNU make
(after 3.81), the Guile scripting language will be integrated.  That way
you can use Guile to perform just about any operation you like.  For
this reason, and for reasons of maintainability, etc. I'm trying to
avoid adding in lots of special-case functions to GNU make.