Re: Makedepend -- Don't search standard libraries

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Makedepend -- Don't search standard libraries
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 00:26:04 -0400

%% hotquietday <address@hidden> writes:

  h> I have a line like this in my Makefile:
  h> makedepend -f- -Y -o.obj $*.cpp > address@hidden;

Makedepend is not really associated with GNU make.  I think it's part of
the X11 environment, but there is almost certainly more than one version
around, so you'll have to go look for docs on your version.

  h> which produces the following warnings:

  h> makedepend: warning:  Main.cpp, line 2: cannot find
  h> include file "iostream"
  h> makedepend: warning:  Main.cpp, line 3: cannot find
  h> include file "vector"

I'm fairly confident that makedepend, being a tool written 'way back in
the 80's or so long before C++ was around, much less the idea that you
could include files without their extensions, does not grok the idea of
#include "vector" as opposed to #include "vector.h".

Unless there is a file named "vector" (no quotes of course) on some path
makedepend knows about (which does _not_ include any internal
directories that your compiler searches other than very standard ones
like /usr/include) makedepend can't find it.

  h> Is makedepend trying to put these dependencies in my dependency
  h> file?

Yes.

  h> I should think standard library includes would be ignored.

How can makedepend know that this is a "standard library include"?

  h> Is there a way to tell makedepend to ignore them?  Or is this error
  h> being caused by something else?

Well, as I said, we don't provide or support makedepend here, and there
are many versions out there, so wee can't answer this for you.  If
there's no documentation you can try looking through the source.

  h> Is there a good tutorial for makedepend?  The manual,
  h> eg, does not even mention the -f- option used above.
  h> I got that from a random example.

Most tools (UNIX tools anyway), if they're well-written, will accept a
"-" wherever a filename would be provided, and interpret that to mean
read from stdin instead of from a file.