RE: Makedepend -- Don't search standard libraries

From: hotquietday
Subject: RE: Makedepend -- Don't search standard libraries
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 02:37:06 -0700 (PDT)

>   h> I should think standard library
>   h>includes would be ignored.
> How can makedepend know that this is a
> "standard library include"?

Because standard library calls are made like:

#include <vector>

whereas custom includes are

#include "myFile.cpp"

I was not aware that makedepend is too
old to know about this and that it has not
been updated.  That may be the case...

You pointed out thata makedepend is not really
associated with make.  I suppose a better question
would be: What is currently considered the
best way to find dependencies in C++ code?  That
is all I'm really trying to do.

I know there is the -M flag with gcc.  Is
that considered the standard now?  What other
options are there?

> Most tools (UNIX tools anyway), if they're
> well-written, will accept a
> "-" wherever a filename would be provided,
> and interpret that to mean
> read from stdin instead of from a file.

But in the example I gave:

makedepend -f- -Y -o.obj $*.cpp > address@hidden;

it is reading from a .cpp file, not from stdin,
isn't it?  Am I missing your point?

Thanks for your comments, and for any additional
clarification,
John