RE: Dependency to generated list of source files

From: daniel.steinmann
Subject: RE: Dependency to generated list of source files
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 09:13:16 +0100

> Very confusing.  I'm assuming you have a good reason for doing things
> this way.

To invoke a javadoc target. There are too many sources file for the command
line, so I have to specify a filename which contains each source file.

The list of source files was originally specified in a variable $(srcs), which
was filled with $(shell find src/ -name '*.java'). Since I run into the above
described problem, I tried to read the list of source files from a file whose
content is defined with the same $(shell find ...) command.

Any idea how to write contents of a variable efficiently into a file without
expanding the content on the command line?

>  1) Auto-generate a makefile, then include it.
<snip>
>     This will work with any version of GNU make.

Thanks a lot! This works fine.

>  2) If you're willing to require GNU make 3.80, you can use
> $(eval ...). This avoids an extra recursion.

Hmm, I read the documentation about this function but I could not figure out
how to use it for my problem. Can you give me another hint?

Thanks for your advice,
Daniel