Re: Advanced Auto-Dependency Generation

From: Johan Bezem
Subject: Re: Advanced Auto-Dependency Generation
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 07:19:52 +0100

Hi,

address@hidden wrote:
Hi Paul,

So what is the advantage of using the Advanced Auto-Dependency Generation. Would gmake rebuild the list of prerequisites during the compilation of the source code.

Yes, it would, and most efficiently.
Most environments I've seen, use a special target for dependency generation,
and in many cases I've seen the prerequisites have been over-defined. In such
cases, some/many/all depedencies are recreated, whether necessary or not.
Tom's concept - as described by Paul - (re)creates the dependencies whenever a compile is
due, on the premise that "if a file didn't change, the include statements cannot
have changed, and therefore the direct dependencies remain the same". If you then
assume, that your system of dependencies has been correct before the changes (or
completely missing!), the makefile assures that is is again after running 'make'.

HTH,

Johan
--
JB Enterprises - Johan Bezem         Tel:   +49 172 5463210
Software Architect - Project Manager Fax:   +49 172 50 5463210