RE: Question about the proper use of the eval function

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: RE: Question about the proper use of the eval function
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 17:36:22 -0400

%% "Sarbak, Joseph T." <address@hidden> writes:

  sjt> The previous email contained a typo, which I have fixed in this
  sjt> update.  The results and questions remain.  Thank you in advance.

  >> define my-test
  >> my_target:
  >> echo "hi from my target"
  >> endef
  >>
  >> $(eval $(call my_test) )

I'm assuming this is still a typo and you really meant "my-test" here in
the call, not my_test...?

  >> bash-2.05b$ make my_target
  >> make: *** No rule to make target `my_target'.  Stop.
  >> bash-2.05b$

As someone else pointed out, the call is not needed here since you have
no arguments.  However, it should work anyway (I think).

If it doesn't make sure you're using a version of GNU make that's new
enough: you need GNU make 3.80 to support the eval function.